Though Kohler-Andrae State Park consistently ranks as one of Wisconsin’s top state parks, I haven’t been able to complete a dedicated blog on it yet! Please check back soon for the full article or read ahead for a few basic considerations.
This beautiful Wisconsin State park abuts the stunning Lake Michigan and includes several miles of shoreline to explore. Here is the DNR website link if you’d like to do some of your own research. Here is a great resource for local things to do in Sheboygan.
The stunning sandy beachfront at Kohler-Andrae state park is not what most people think of when they think of Wisconsin. When I share pictures of this beach, someone will always ask me where I travelled having no idea this little slice of heaven can be found right here is Wisconsin. There are several access points to reach the beach. You have 4 different options to park adjacent to the beach with just a quick walk over the dunes before you are rewarded with the amazing view.
There are almost 2 miles of beachfront to walk and enjoy. The beach is wide and has plenty of room for playing, sunbathing, and walking.
You can keep your toes in the sand or take a dip in the water. Beware, Lake Michigan waters tend to be cold all year round. This cold water was not enough to keep my kids from at least getting their feet wet despite the fact that there was still snow on the ground last time we visited.
There is no boat launch at Kohler-Andrae. You are able to use small craft that you can carry to the water. There can be some pretty strong winds. Don’t get swept away by the beauty and forget to pay attention to how far away you are from the beach.
Hiking at Kohler-Andrae state park
My favorite trail here is a unique hike called the cordwalks. It feels completely magical following this meandering trail. The cordwalks trail takes you roughly along the beach getting glimpses of the water from time to time as it takes you across the dunes. It is a 2 mile out and back trail (4 miles total). If you prefer a loop, try the Woodland Dunes Trail at the south end of the park. It leaves near the playground. It also connects to the Marsh Trail and the Black River Marsh Boardwalk if you want something even longer.
The longest trail at Kohler-Andrae state park is the Black River Trails system which total 2.5 miles. To cover all the miles you would have to back track because there are several different loops connecting to each other. This trail set is open to both bikes and horses in addition to hikers.
Bicyclists can also use the park roads. The park road is windy and the shoulders are narrow. This is a busy park which might not make it a very enticing ride
There are over 130 campsites at Kohler-Andrae state park with over 1/3 of them offering electrical hook-ups. All the sites have a fire ring and a picnic table. During the summers there are showers and flush toilets available. See the location of the bathhouse here. This campground is open in the winter if you are brave enough!
Winter at Kohler-Andrae State Park
In the winter there is a 2 mile cross country ski trail as well as a snowshoe trail. Check out the winter map here. There are limited campsites which are plowed and available in the winter.
Nearby Outdoor Activities
- I’m excited to visit Bookworm Gardens with the kiddos but avid gardners or the young at heart will also enjoy stopping by. Each section is themed after a different popular children’s book.
- Deland Park has both boat ramps and beaches along Lake Michigan. The park houses the wreck of the Lottie-Cooper. A Schooler that capsized before 1900.
- On the north end of Sheboygan is Evergreen Park. There is a beach on a smaller lake, a huge playground, and some hiking trails.
- Finally, King Park is also on our list to visit. There is a playground and it is on the shore of Lake Michigan so the views are great.
Nearby Indoor Activities
- To start your day with coffee, breakfast, or pastries I recommend considering Paradigm Coffee and Music or Johnston’s Bakery.
- For lunch consider the Italian place Lino Ristorante Italiano, or Cocina Mi Familia for Mexican.
- If you are looking for an adult beverage at a local brewery, try 3 Sheep Brewing. On a beautiful day go to Der Sheboygan Biergarten, a German-styled outdoor beer garden.
If you are looking for other state parks near cities check out my list of top 5 here.
If you are looking for information about other state parks I’ve visited, click here for my running list of parks I’ve visited and written about.
Do you love Kohler-Andrae State Park? Why? What do you love to do nearby?